- - - - -

Dark Matter Even More Missing Now ...

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#326 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Another desperate attempt to find the Dark Matter gnome …

https://www.technolo...atter-detector/

Astrophysicists Turn GPS Satellite Constellation into Giant Dark Matter Detector

If Earth is sweeping through an ocean of dark matter, the effects should be visible in clock data from GPS satellites.

The Global Positioning System consists of 31 Earth-orbiting satellites, each carrying an atomic clock that sends a highly accurate timing signal to the ground. Anybody with an appropriate receiver can work out their position to within a few meters by comparing the arrival time of signals from three or more satellites.

… snip …

Today Benjamin Roberts at the University of Nevada and a few pals say they have used this data to find out whether GPS satellites may have been influenced by dark matter, the mysterious invisible stuff that astrophysicists think fills our galaxy. In effect, these guys have turned the Global Positioning System into an astrophysical observatory of truly planetary proportion.

… snip …

They start with a different vision of what dark matter may consist of.  Instead of small particles, another option is that dark matter may take the form of topological defects in space-time left over from the Big Bang. These would be glitches in the fabric of the universe, like domain walls, that bend space-time in their vicinity.

… snip …

Should the Earth pass through such a defect, it would change the local gravitational field just slightly over a period of an hour or so.

But how to detect such a change in the local field? To Roberts and co, the answer is clear. According to relativity, any change in gravity also changes the rate at which a clock ticks. That’s why orbiting clocks run a little bit slower than those on the surface.

If the Earth has passed through any topological defects in the recent past, the clock data from GPS satellites would have recorded this event. So by searching through geophysicists’ archived records of GPS clock timings, it ought to be possible to see such events.

That’s the theory. In practice, this work is a little more complicated because GPS timing signals are also influenced by other factors such as atmospheric conditions, random variations, and other things. All these need to be taken into account.

But a key signature of a topological defect is that its influence should sweep through the fleet of satellites as the Earth passes through it. So any other kinds of local timing fluctuation can be ruled out.

Roberts and co study the data over the last 16 years, and their results make for interesting reading. These guys say they have found no sign that Earth has passed through a topological defect in that time. “We find no evidence for dark matter clumps in the form of domain walls,” they say.

OOPS!   Another negative result.

So true …

https://twitter.com/...701471999864833

I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt

#327 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Time for the wacky new black hole gnome add-on of the week, folks:

http://www.dailymail...red-cocoon.html

When two galaxies collide: NASA finds their black holes become completely covered by a 'cocoon' of gas and dust

Frankly, I’m surprise they don’t have a theory that includes Trump yet.

So true …

I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt

#328 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

This is very good ...

So true …

#329 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Hey everybody …

http://gizmodo.com/t...s-fi-1795381006

The Most Sensitive Dark Matter Detector Releases Its First Results

And guess what they found?

NOTHING …

As these experiments are getting larger, folks are beginning to feel the pressure of what might happen should we fail to discover dark matter. “You can’t do this forever,” said Tunnell. “You wonder if maybe dark matter is different from what you expect it to be.”

What these bozos should be doing is reexamining their fundamental assumption … that dark matter even exists.  

But they won’t … there’s too much money and prestige in looking for it.   

“So the question is going to become after LZ is built: Are we going to build another generation of experiments?” asked Zurek. “Now we’re talking about quantities of xenon getting to be a nontrivial fraction of the world’s supply.”

Of course they are.  

They can’t help themselves.  

They are no different than the bozos (who like to call themselves scientists) who are pushing the AGW meme.  

Shysters, when all is really said and done.

So true …

#330 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

More problems for Black Hole theory …

https://www.universe...k-hole-instead/

STAR SHOULD HAVE GONE SUPERNOVA, BUT IT IMPLODED INTO A BLACK HOLE INSTEAD

… snip …

The Fireworks Galaxy, a spiral galaxy located 22 million light-years from Earth, is so-named because supernova are known to be a frequent occurrence there. In fact, earlier this month, an amateur astronomer spotted what is now designated as SN 2017eaw. As such, three astronomers from Ohio Sate University (who are co-authors on the study) were expecting N6946-BH1 would go supernova when in 2009, it began to brighten.

However, by 2015, it appeared to have winked out.
As such, the team went looking for the remnants of it with the help of colleagues from Ohio State University and the University of Oklahoma. Using the combined power of the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT) and NASA’s Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, they realized that the star had completely disappeared from sight.

The details of their research appeared in a study titled “The Search for Failed Supernovae with the Large Binocular Telescope: Confirmation of a Disappearing Star“, which recently appeared in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. Among the many galaxies they were watching for supernovas, they had their sights set on the Fireworks Galaxy to see what had become of N6946-BH1.

After it experienced a weak optical outburst in 2009, they had anticipated that this red supergiant would go supernova – which seemed logical given that it was 25 times as massive as our Sun. After winking out in 2015, they had expected to find that the star had merely dimmed, or that it had cast off a dusty shell of material that was obscuring its light from view.

Their efforts included an LBT survey for failed supernovae, which they combined with infrared spectra obtained by the Spitzer Space Telescope and optical data from Hubble. However, all the surveys turned up negative, which led them to only one possible conclusion: that N6946-BH1 must have failed to go supernova and instead went straight to forming a blackhole.

A major implication of this study is the way it could shed new light on the formation of very massive black holes. For some time now, astronomers have believed that in order to form a black hole at the end of its life cycle, a star would have to be massive enough to cause a supernova. But as the team observed, it doesn’t make sense that a star would blow off its outer layers and still have enough mass left over to form a massive black hole.

As Christopher Kochanek – a professor of astronomy at The Ohio State University, the Ohio Eminent Scholar in Observational Cosmology and a co-author of the team’s study – explained:

“The typical view is that a star can form a black hole only after it goes supernova. If a star can fall short of a supernova and still make a black hole, that would help to explain why we don’t see supernovae from the most massive stars.”

Does everyone understand what happened here?  Mainstream theory has told the public for a long time that stars with a mass 25 times the sun or more ALWAYS go supernova before forming a black hole.  But now, all because they observed such a massive star just disappear, they conclude they can go directly to the black hole stage.    But how, exactly?  Why didn't they see this possibility before?  And do you know that the Ohio State student who earned his PhD on this study suggested that a third of the massive stars might be doing this?   Wow!   That many, all of a sudden.   And how does he arrive at this number?  Because in the first 7 years his survey, they observed six normal supernovae and then this one abnormal one, “suggesting that 10 to 30 percent of massive stars die as failed supernovae.”   LOL!   It’s not based on any understanding of the physics of whatever happened at all.  

Maybe what the mainstream should do is reexamine assumptions?   What if the electric star folks are right … that the brightness of stars changes in response to changes in the electric current that they are moving through or the collapse of double layers?  Hmmmmmm?    Here are some more mainstream problems with supernova and what EU posits instead …

Or how about supernova ASASSN-15lh … which was the most luminous supernova ever discovered before fading away (http://news.national...aker-astronomy/ ).   But which one year later rebrightened again!   Not hard to explain with EU theory but to explain it, the mainstream eventually invoked the use of a black hole (that gnome that fixes all problems) … claiming it was a low mass star ripped apart by a black hole, not a supernova at all.   Will the creation of gnomes ever end?

So true …

#331 teacher

teacher

Warden

• Warden
  • 18,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Below are two posts I made to teacher on his thread after he made the following statement:

Post #1

I like inflation, I've no problem with black holes, dark matter, dark energy I have buku problems with.

Why?

That sentence should have read...

I like inflation, I've no problem with black holes, however: dark matter and dark energy I have buku problems with.

Just so you know, I'm done with inflation theory. I don't need it to bolster my coming new theory. Matter of fact, assuming that the big bang theory is correct and the speed of gravity is c, inflation, if it were powerful enough, would put the matter on opposite sides of my sphere forever outside of the effects of gravity which would mean the universe would expand forever and ever, Amen.

I still like the big bang theory and black holes, though.

Is there any way that the mass of a photon is zero? And is there any way that radiation of any sort has to weigh sumpin, however little? I've read that the amount of matter in the vacuum in space is about one atom per cubic centimeter. Given the size of space that's a whole lot of mass. There's your (well, not yours but the so-called they who are called they's) dark matter and there's nuttin magical or undetectable about it.

Who are these people giving these gnome hunters so much cash and how can the justify their continued failure?

#332 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

If it's Tuesday, it’s time for a new Dark Matter gnome …

http://trendintech.c...estroys-itself/

Space Station Experiments Could Prove that Dark Matter Destroys Itself

LOL!

So true …

#333 ihadit

ihadit
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:01 AM

Lots of stuff up out there we don't know

#334 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

It’s Tuesday so it’s time for a new Dark Matter gnome … Superfluid Dark Matter.

https://www.quantama...fluid-20170613/

:rolleyes:

This insanity is symptomatic of the death of astrophysics.

So true …

#335 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

Here’s something the mainstream, dark matter, black hole loving astrophysics community just can’t explain …

https://phys.org/new...lion-years.html

A new study led by Michael West of Lowell Observatory reveals that the most massive galaxies in the universe have been aligned with their surroundings for the past ten billion years. 

But plasma cosmologists can.

What a shame that mainstream astronomers, with all their fancy telescopes, can’t actually see past the end of their collective nose.

So true …

#336 laripu

laripu
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

What a shame that mainstream astronomers, with all their fancy telescopes, cant actually see past the end of their collective nose.

New theories take time to become accepted. The new models need to match existing data better than the older models, then make successful predictions that the older models fall to make. All of that must be verified by numerous scientists.

Special relativity and general relativity have been around for 100 years, and they're still checking them over and over. Mostly the tests confirm, except for quantum entanglement; but relativity was never designed for things at the quantum size. Still, all of it shows that there's more still to be discovered than what we already know.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. - Richard Feynman

#337 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

New theories take time to become accepted. The new models need to match existing data better than the older models, then make successful predictions that the older models fall to make. All of that must be verified by numerous scientists.

Special relativity and general relativity have been around for 100 years, and they're still checking them over and over. Mostly the tests confirm, except for quantum entanglement; but relativity was never designed for things at the quantum size. Still, all of it shows that there's more still to be discovered than what we already know.

None of which defends dark matter, black holes, inflation, and the big bang from the costly boondoggle they've become.  

Have you read the entire thread?

So true …

#338 laripu

laripu
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

None of which defends dark matter, black holes, inflation, and the big bang from the costly boondoggle they've become.  

Have you read the entire thread?

I'm not interested in defending any particular theory. It might be wrong.

But the initial singularity, inflation and black holes are pretty well established. They see lots of evidence for black holes; plus, the math is not prohibitive. They also can measure the background radiation that is evidence for the big bang and subsequent inflation.

Dark matter is another story. But that remains to be worked out and eventually will. Maybe your pet theory is the right one. I don't know, and I'm not arguing.

I'm just talking about the process. The process is slow for good reasons. Be patient.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. - Richard Feynman

#339 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

But the initial singularity, inflation and black holes are pretty well established.

Have you read the thread? Maybe they aren't as solid as you think. That's the point of the thread.

They see lots of evidence for black holes

Do they? Or are they misinterpreting that evidence as discussed in the thread?

plus, the math is not prohibitive.

But the math keeps changing. Because it's just one *surprise* observation after another that forces revisions of the *math*. Maybe the problem is thinking math is a substitute for observation? Maybe the problem is substituting math as the god of science, rather than observation? It’s sort of the same problem that AGWalarmists have encountered.   And that *evidence* you speak of might be evidence of a theory that has been around for a long time but that no one in the mainstream astrophysics community will even give the time of day. Yet that theory just won’t go away despite being ignored and, in fact, keeps getting strong and stronger, and gaining more supporters.

They also can measure the background radiation that is evidence for the big bang and subsequent inflation.

Is it? If you read this thread, maybe you'll question that claim. There are lots of observations that just don’t square with those two GNOMES.  Plus, the gnomes are based on LOTS of assumptions, which are looking more and more suspect.   They are, in fact, nothing but math. Again, we are asked to bow to the god of math and ignore the observations. That’s what the mainstream in both the astrophysics and AGWalarmist communities are demanding we do.  But I refuse to bow to the god of math and ignore what the observations say.

Dark matter is another story. But that remains to be worked out and eventually will.

Oh such faith. After how many decades of looking now? After how many billions spent looking? And finding NOTHING.   I'm not as hopeful as you.   I think modern astrophysics is standing on a house of cards … next to a cliff.   And when that house of cards collapses, astronomy and astrophysics are going to go over the cliff and be set back by decades, if for no other reason than the public saying no more money for these incompetent liars.    A decade ago they were ABSOLUTELY certain of dark matter. So certain that they published article after article claiming not just declaring evidence of it … but PROOF.   But the last decade hasn’t been good for them.   Not at all.  They have found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support ANY of their theories (which keep changing daily to try and explain why and making dark matter look crazier and crazier).  Meanwhile, the mainstreams mass estimates, so crucial to their theories have been proven totally wrong.   In fact, REAL dark matter, the baryonic kind keeps being discovered in ever growing amounts.  Discovered right where the non-baryonic dark matter (which they can’t seem to find) was claimed to lay in order to explain the observations. Imagine that.

I'm just talking about the process. The process is slow for good reasons. Be patient.

I’ve discussed process in this thread at great length.   There have been whole posts on it.   I’ve showed one example after another proving that the “process” is gravely flawed … that science when it comes to astrophysics may even be dead.  These posts discuss how the mainstream has abandoned the process we knew as science … and has substituted the process used by priests and religion.   Go read them.   Read the thread.   Open your eyes. I’d love a good conversation on this.   :D

So true …

#340 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

laripu, here’s an example of the type of problems they are having with inflation?

http://www.spacedail...rother_999.html

Cosmic inflation: Higgs says goodbye to his 'little brother'

Jun 09, 2017

In the first moments after the Big Bang, the Universe was able to expand even billions of billions of billions of times faster than today. Such rapid expansion should be due to a primordial force field, acting with a new particle: inflaton. From the latest analysis of the decay of mesons, carried out in the LHCb experiment by physicists from Cracow and Zurich, it appears, however, that the most probable light inflaton, a particle with the characteristics of the famous Higgs boson but less massive, almost certainly does not exist.

Just after the Big Bang, the Universe probably passed through a phase of inflation, an extreme burst of expansion. If inflation did really occur, there should be a new force field behind it. Its force carriers would be hypothetical, hitherto unobserved particles, inflatons, which should have many features reminiscent of the famous Higgs boson.

Physicists from the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IFJ PAN) in Cracow and the University of Zurich (UZH) searched for traces of light inflatons in the decay of B+ mesons recorded by detectors in the LHCb experiment at CERN near Geneva. Detailed analysis of the data, carried out with funds provided by the Polish National Science Centre, however, places a large question mark over the existence of light inflatons.

Despite having weak effects, gravity decides about the appearance of the Universe on its greatest scales. As a consequence, all modern cosmological models have their foundations in our best theory of gravity: Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.

Already the first cosmological models constructed on the theory of relativity suggested that the Universe was a dynamic creation. Today we know that it used to be extremely dense and hot, and 13.8 billion years ago it suddenly started to expand. The theory of relativity allows for predictions of the course of this process starting from fractions of a second after the Big Bang.

"One of the earliest survivors of these events visible to this day is the microwave background radiation that formed a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang. It currently corresponds to a temperature of about 2.7 kelvins and uniformly fills the entire Universe.

It is this homogeneity that has proved to be a great puzzle", says Dr. Marcin Chrzaszcz (IFJ PAN) and explains, "When we look into the sky, the deep space fragments visible in one direction may be so distant from those visible in another direction that light has not yet had time to pass between them. So nothing that has happened in one of these areas should affect the other. But wherever we look, the temperature of distant regions of the cosmos is almost identical! How could it have become so uniform?"

The uniformity of microwave background radiation is explained by the mechanism proposed by Alan Guth in 1981. In his model, the Universe initially expanded slowly, and all its fragments observed today had time to interact and level out the temperature. According to Guth, at some point, however, there must have been a very short but extremely rapid expansion of space-time. The new force field responsible for this inflation expanded the Universe to such an extent that today it exhibits a remarkable uniformity (as far as the temperature of the cosmological microwave background is concerned).

"A new field always means the existence of a particle that is the carrier of the effect. Cosmology has thus become interesting for physicists examining phenomena in the microscale. For a long time a good candidate for the inflaton appeared to be the famous Higgs boson. But when in 2012 the higgs was finally observed in the European LHC accelerator, it turned out to be too heavy. If higgs with its mass was responsible for inflation, today's relict radiation would look different than currently observed by the COBE, WMAP and Planck satellites", says Dr. Chrzaszcz.

Theoreticians proposed a solution to this surprising situation: the inflaton would be a completely new particle, with the properties of higgs, but with clearly smaller mass. In quantum mechanics, the identical nature of characteristics causes particles to be able to oscillate: they cyclically transform one into another. An inflation model constructed in this way would have only one parameter, describing the frequency of oscillation/transformation between the inflaton and the Higgs boson.

"The mass of the new inflaton could be small enough for the particle to appear in the decay of B+ mesons. And these beauty mesons are particles recorded in large number by the LHCb experiment at the Large Hadron Collider. So we decided to look for decay of mesons happening through the interaction with the inflaton in the data collected in the LHC in 2011-12", says PhD student Andrea Mauri (UZH).

If light inflatons actually existed, the B+ meson would sometimes decay into a kaon (K+ meson) and a Higgs particle, which would convert into an inflaton as a result of the oscillation. After travelling a few metres in the detector, the inflaton would decay into two elementary particles: muon and antimuon. Detectors of the LHCb experiment would not record the presence of either the higgs or the inflaton. Researchers from the IFJ PAN, however, expected to see the emission of kaons and the appearance of muon-antimuon pairs respectively.

"Depending on the parameter describing the frequency of the inflaton-higgs oscillation, the course of B+ meson decay should be slightly different. In our analysis we were looking for decays of up to 99% of the possible values of this parameter - and we found nothing. We can therefore say with great certainty that light inflaton simply does not exist", says Dr. Chrzaszcz.

Theoretically, low-mass inflaton may still be hidden in one percent of the unexamined variations in oscillation. These cases will eventually be excluded by future analyses using newer data that is now being collected at the LHC. However, physicists have to slowly become accustomed to the idea that if inflaton exists, it is a more massive particle than was thought or that it occurs in more than one variation. If, however, over time these variants also prove not to correspond to reality, inflation, which explains the observed homogeneity of the Universe so well, will become - very literally - the greatest mystery of modern cosmology.

In which case will it be time for another GNOME or will the mainstream FINALLY consider the alternative that's been proposed by plasma cosmologists?   :D

So true …

#341 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:00 AM

Here’s another alignment mystery for the mainstream …

https://www.space.co...-telescope.html

Mystery Alignment of Dying Stars Puzzles Scientists

Dying stars that are among the most beautiful objects in the universe tend to line up across the night sky, and astronomers aren't sure why.

These "cosmic butterflies" — actually a certain type of planetary nebula — all have their own formation histories, and they don't interact with each other. But something is apparently making them dance in step, scientists using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and the European Southern Observatory's New Technology Telescope (NTT) have discovered.

"This really is a surprising find and, if it holds true, a very important one,"study lead author Bryan Rees, of the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom, said in a statement. "Many of these ghostly butterflies appear to have their long axes aligned along the plane of our galaxy. By using images from both Hubble and the NTT we could get a really good view of these objects, so we could study them in great detail."

… snip …

Rees and co-author Albert Zijlstra, also of the University of Manchester, studied 130 planetary nebulae in the central bulge of the Milky Way galaxy.

They found most of these objects to be scattered more or less randomly across the sky, but one type — the bipolar nebulae, which have distinctive butterfly or hourglass shapes that are thought to result when jets blast material away from a dying star perpendicular to its orbit — showed a surprising alignment.

"The alignment we're seeing for these bipolar nebulae indicates something bizarre about star systems within the central bulge,"Rees said. "For them to line up in the way we see, the star systems that formed these nebulae would have to be rotating perpendicular to the interstellar clouds from which they formed, which is very strange."

... but not so much for plasma cosmology / electric universe proponents.

So true …

#342 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

The Superfluid DM gnome continues to grow in power …

http://www.scienceal...he-best-one-yet

It makes up about 85 percent of the total mass of the Universe, and yet, physicists still have no idea what dark matter actually is.

But a new hypothesis might have gotten us closer to figuring out its identity, because physicists now suspect that dark matter has been changing forms this whole time - from ghostly particles in the Universe's biggest structures, to a strange, superfluid state at smaller scales. And we might soon have the tools to confirm it.

That last sentence is really important because it means that you and I shall will be spending LOTS of money to “confirm it”.  

Just as we’ve already spent LOTS of money to confirm the existence of DM.  

Promises, promises.  

And what gnome could be better …

And now two physicists propose that dark matter has been changing the rules this whole time, and that could explain why it's been so elusive.

than a gnome that an *change the rules* to make it harder to find?  

And that will cost LOTS of money to “confirm”.

See how this works?

:D

So true …

#343 BeAChooser

BeAChooser
  • 28,202 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Almost Tuesday … so it’s time for a new Dark Matter gnome …

https://www.scienced...70623100405.htm

Does dark matter annihilate quicker in the Milky Way?

Researchers at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai have proposed a theory that predicts how dark matter may be annihilating much more rapidly in the Milky Way, than in smaller or larger galaxies and the early Universe.

LOL!

How many is that now?

Dozens and dozens?

The desperation grows and grows.

So true …

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users